Thursday, January 28, 2010

Yep, he's pretty much amazing

On Monday Jono, me and a few of our friends went snowboarding. This was my first time, and I was pretty nervous but excited at the same time. Jono was born on a snowboard (pretty much) and is quite the pro: he's even done some snowboarding instruction in his time.

Deep down inside I was hoping to be a natural at this, that I would simply jump on the board and glide down the mountain effortlessly with people cheering and ooh-ing and aah-ing as I swoop by them. Needless to say: I'm NOT a natural. Far from it. More like a clumsy sloth staggering slash crawling down the bunny slope. I fell so many times I stopped counting and I have the black and blue bruises to show for it. It was not a pretty sight, not only because my limbs would be in 5 different directions at all times or because my butt was pushed out so far that my nose was almost touching the snow. No, because my attitude stank too. I just could not stand the fact that I couldn't do it. At one point in the day, after falling on my face yet again, I simply lay in the snow wailing:"I hate this, I never want to do this again! this was the stupidest idea ever!! We never should've come!". Do you see it? Yep, not a pretty sight in the slightest.

Now most people would shudder at this sight, and simply say :"Suck it up girly, you're not the first person to suck at this," and they would have every right to: I was being a brat. But Jono never once lost his patience with me. Every time I would throw a tantrum he would have a kind reply, encouraging me to try again. He spent the entire day helping me, when I know he would very much have wanted to take a few runs by himself. He sacrificed his own desires to place me before himself. Time after time he would guide me on my board and whenever I fell he would rush to help me up. He's incredible.

By the end of the day we had figured out a tactic that helped me a lot in learning the ropes, and I actually began to enjoy the sport: a little. I'll definitely give it another shot, and maybe it'll be a little easier the second time around. As we drove home that night, although tired and emotionally spent, I was completely content knowing that my husband loves me no matter how ugly I am inside and was reminded of the same love Christ has for us: unconditionally sacrificing himself even though we don't deserve it at all.

5 comments:

Zach Rose said...

Doesn't snowboarding look so easy?

Carrie Allen said...

amen, sister!

danielle marie. said...

aww, thats super cute.

Inge said...

Dis awesome.
Ek is so bly jy en Jono is so gelukkig!
Lief vir jou!

Megan said...

i love your blog, simone. :)