Thursday, November 20, 2008

FUEL!


WEll, for those of you that don't know, Jono (my husband) is the youth director at Kingsfield Church. 

Every wednesday night we have youth group, namely FUEL.

I can remember my first wednesday night at Fuel. I was petrified. I was so intimidated by all the high school students, and didn't even know where to start in building friendships with them. This culture, this american culture, had been so familiar to me all my life being exposed to American film & television. But once I was faced with it in a tangible way, I didn't know how to bridge the gap.

I remember Kelly Pike (now Kelly Hooker) being the most friendly and really doing her best to make me feel welcome. I remember calling Camyron Carmen, and being very aware of the fact that I was pronouncing Aubree's name as ORE_bree, and not AWWW_bree. 
I remember Carrie organizing root beer floats as a welcome gesture to me. Which, as soon as I took one sip of "Root Beer", I wished I hadn't! Sorry Carrie, I appreciate the gesture though! very thoughtful.

It's amazing to me how God has worked in my own heart, and given me tools to reach out to these students. I LOVE THEM!
During my recent visit to South Africa I became so aware of how much I missed them and of all the things I hope for their future. 

We have seen great things through this youth group & church, and have shared many tough times together. I am so grateful for the people God has brought into our life. Once again, I realize the beauty of the Church.

Here are some pics to showcase a little bit of FUEL:












ps, I tried to add more pictures, but can't figure this blog thing out, and I don't know why this font is underlined right now either. If Frank and Carrie knew about the blog, I would just ask them, but I can't. bummer.