Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Busy

This is exactly why I was apprehensive of starting a blog: That I would start a one, and not be able to keep up with it. I hope that this post will bring some clarity on why I haven't written in a while.

A couple of months ago I was sitting down with some of my mentors, and the classic question came up:"So... when will kids be in the picture?" I realized right then that one of the main reasons why I would like to wait another 4 years is because I would like to have a better tertiary education. The ladies all encouraged me to simply go for it.

And so, that is what I've done. In America you have to complete what is called your "general education" after High School. Once you've done this, you can transfer to a university and complete your degree. It takes approximately 2 years, and requires you to take classes like math, English composition, one from sciences, one from the arts etc. It's a little frustrating, because most of this work is included in the last 2 years of high school in South Africa. However, I have accepted that this is what I need to do, and so I'm just going to put my shoulder to the wheel and DO IT!

I started this past week with classes at Saddleback Valley Community College. I'm taking Maths ("Math" as the locals say it), English 1a, History of Film, Film Production. The maths class I'm taking is an online one. I'm very chuffed with myself, as I've already completed two of the online tests. This isn't such a great feat, since I'm taking beginning algebra! I first learnt algebra 10 years ago, and so I'm a little rusty! Anyways, I passed the tests. woohoo.

My History of Film class is quite fascinating, and we get to watch movies every week: How fun!
My English class is standard.
My Film Production class. This one should be interesting. We're expected to complete 7 short films by the end of the semester. I've been placed in a "production company" with Joel, Jan, John and Pia. The professor, Charlie Myers, is outrageous. He's blunt, crude, short tempered, insulting and entertaining. He would probably describe himself the same way - thats what's funny.

It feels good to be back in a classroom setting, having your thinking be challenged. However, Jono & I are extremely busy with events such as Wintercamp, Redeemed Girls Conference, Summercamp and a Mission trip to Tanzania coming up. Hopefully I can manage all these things well.

I am sorry if I disappear from the blogosphere at times. Bare with me.

3 comments:

danielle marie. said...

well im prayin for you. you can get through everything.

and byy the way, we are probably in the same math class. haha if not i might be one ahead of you cuz i took a class last semester. haha

blythe said...

awww, there's always time for blogging.

well, i'm proud of you with your class-taking. maybe we can take one together sometime in the future?

keep up the good work, sport! :]

missing you in Wisc.

Carrie Allen said...

rainoi